Sunday, December 23, 2012

Blessed by the Pope

My last few weeks in Rome have been truly rewarding. One story in particular I would like to share with you all. My last Sunday in Rome was spent doing my last assignment for my internship with EWTN. All I knew was that I was going to be their photographer at a special mass at St. Peter's and the Pope would make an appearance at the end. Little did I know how special and intimate it was going to be.


I was placed in the front row pew to take pictures of the Mass in celebration of North and South America coming together for the year of faith. At most there were about 200 people there. The beginning of Mass was very ceremonial with all the bishops and priests coming down the aisle and onto the altar. The cardinal gave mass, and it was even more special because it was said in English, as most of the time in Italy mass would be said in Italian or Latin. After the final blessing, the swiss guards and security people got ready for the Pope to come in. They brought up a new chair on the altar for him to sit on, and they lined up; the anticipation was building.

Then finally Pope Benedict XVI comes down the front aisle on his cart that the security guards pushed him on. He stood and raised his hands out onto the people, blessing everyone. He gave a special blessing in Spanish and English on the altar.

Then when he came down, I walked over to the edge of the pew. When he came down the center aisle, exiting the Church, he was literally a foot away from me. I could have reached my hand out and touched his hand, but I didn't have to. He was right there. I was shaking-this was THE Pope right in front of me! A special moment I will remember for the rest of my life. Feeling very blessed to have this opportunity. I'm so thankful for the experiences I've had with my internship with EWTN, especially for my encounter with the Pope.







No comments:

Post a Comment